The holidays are often touted to be one of the happiest times of the year, but rarely are they the least stressful. Dragging the kids out to the local ((blog.city)) mall on a busy weekend in search of gifts for the family, long hours spent in a car or a plane to visit far away relatives, stressing about bills racking up while your gift list doesn’t seem to have a dent in it. Staying truly healthy during the holiday season tends to take a backseat to the hustle and bustle this special time of year brings.5
Steps To Keeping Healthy For The Holidays
Having a plan in place for a healthier holiday season is your ticket to a happier holiday season. Your 5 steps to a healthier and happier holiday are:
• Keep sleep a priority – With long days and stressful weekends, sleep may seem elusive during the holidays. It’s easy to see how lack of sleep puts a damper on your holiday mood, and how quickly your energy depletes as a result. No matter where the holiday season will take you this year, keep sleep a priority, and make sure to get at least 7 to 9 hours per night regularly in order to feel your best.
• Stay on top of your exercise – When you’re tired and stressed, the last thing on your mind is exercise, but it could be the exact thing you need the most. As few as 20 minutes per day of moderate exercises like a walk or a swim if you’re at a hotel with an indoor pool, can boost your mood, help to regulate your sleep cycle, and keep you feeling better.
• Keep hydrated – One thing that many don’t know is that if you’re feeling thirsty, your body is already in the early stages of dehydration. Dehydration can make you more susceptible to winter illnesses, it can make you feel dizzy, tired, or under the weather, and it can leave you more run down than you would be otherwise. If you’re traveling by plane this holiday season, you’re in a particularly drying environment, and keeping hydrated is even more important.
• Cope with stress in a healthy way – It’s near impossible to avoid stress altogether during the holiday season, so it’s imperative that you learn how to cope with it in a healthy way. Rather than sipping on eggnog and forgetting about it until tomorrow, face the stress head-on and remain mindful. Taking some self-care time during this time of the year is more important than just about any other.
• See your chiropractor – Skipping out on your chiropractor visits during the holidays will leave you feeling worse. No matter where you are traveling to, see a local chiropractor away from your regular location and make sure you’re kept on track.
The Right Care For The Best Holiday Yet
Caring for yourself in the right way will ensure you have the best holiday season yet. It’s easy to forget about ourselves while thinking about everyone else during the holidays, but it’s important to remember that you can only be your best self when you take care of that self.